Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Recipe for Orange Marmalade Chicken

An Easy Recipe for Orange Marmalade Chicken

The edge of the dish looks a bit messy - served straight from oven to table !

I stumbled upon this recipe for Orange Marmalade Chicken several years ago in a South African magazine – either “Fair Lady” or “Femina” … I can’t remember now. Anyway, it caught my eye because I happened to have all the ingredients listed in my pantry at the time – they are the sort of ingredients that you usually do have on hand yet would never think to use in this combination.

It makes for an unusual but tasty meal and has made a regular appearance on our dinner table over the years, especially when we’ve had friends and family to stay. In fact, it’s become a sort-of standing joke amongst some family members “Oh - first night at Lynda’s means it’ll be Marmalade Chicken !” Which is true, I usually do serve it to people on their first night’s stay with us !

I have to say that my toddler does not enjoy this one, which is unusual as she eats almost anything. She says it’s “got too much chilli in it, Mama” which I suspect is actually the peppery tang of the ginger she’s referring to. Still, she loves helping me pick the rosemary sprigs that go in it ……..

Orange Marmalade Chicken

8 x chicken pieces
Salt & Pepper to taste
6 tbsp Orange Marmalade
2 tbsp Wholegrain Mustard
2 tbsp English Mustard
2 tsp Ginger, finely grated
¼ cup Orange Juice
¼ cup Chicken Stock
1 tbsp Mustard Seeds (Optional)
Fresh Rosemary Sprigs

Place the chicken pieces in an ovenproof dish, & season with the salt and pepper. Mix the remaining ingredients together to make a sauce, & pour over the chicken pieces. Tuck fresh rosemary sprigs in between the chicken pieces and bake (uncovered) at 200’C/400’F/Gas Mark 6 for about an hour, basting the chicken with the sauce at least twice during the cooking time.

I usually remove the cooked rosemary sprigs and decorate with fresh ones before serving.

1 comment:

  1. Hi There - I don't mind you using my recipes & photos on your blog, but would apprciate it if you did so, to mention my blog FOOD, FUN & FARM LIFE and a linkback to it for your readers. Many thanks.
    Kind regards
    Lynda, Food Fun & Farm Life In East Africa
    www.foodfunfarm.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete